Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Genesis

My life began on August 18, 1958 in Athens-Limestone Hospital in Athens, Alabama. I was born the son of a man from Giles County, Tennessee and a woman from Salem, Arkansas. That's right; I'm half Tennessee redneck and half Arkansas hillbilly, which explains so much of who and what I am today. My parents, Gordon and Lee, also were blessed with two daughters - Lee, who is four years older than me and Yvonne, who is three years younger. Our parents met in the Benton Harbor, Michigan area as a result of both of their families having moved to that area from their respective homes to find work during the late 1940's or early 1950's. Both of my sisters were born in Benton Harbor, but I was born during a year or so stay in Limestone County, Alabama.

Our family lived near Benton Harbor from the time that I was one year old until I was a little more than four. At that point in my young life, our mother passed from this life as the result of cancer and we soon moved to Limestone County again and lived with our Dad's parents for the next three years and a few months. My Dad remarried and thus began a new and challenging period of my life.It was a life that was challenging not only for me, but for the rest of the family as well.

Welcome to life in my world. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment